Thursday, February 26, 2009

To My Brother

I am writing this entry in honor of Jason, my brother. Jason is my little brother, although I use the term "little" very loosely as he is taller and stronger than I am. Jason leaves tomorrow to finish his tour of duty in Iraq. Jason is a part of the 82nd Airborne division of the United States Army. He is stationed at an SUJ and does different missions each day.

People ask me how I feel about war now that my brother is in Iraq. My feelings have never changed. I don't think anyone likes war. Why would you? However, I support the troops and more than anything I support my brother and the decision he made to join the Army. Jason is not your typical 22 year-old. Jason is mature and smart and driven. He made the choice to join the Army after much prayer and consideration and he has done an excellent job.

Jason is so much fun to be around. He has a great sense of humor and gives awesome hugs. He always knows when I need a hug. The difficult part about Jason being in the Army is not that he is in Iraq. The most difficult part for me is that he is absent. I can honestly say that Jason is one of my closest friends and without him, there is just something missing. Mom and dad's house just seems a little too quiet at times on Sundays and funny movies are missing something when I don't have Jason to laugh alongside.

However, Jason being gone has helped me change for the better. For the past few years I have used Jason as my wall to hide behind. He has been my safety net. If I ever needed someone to go along with me to an event, he was there. I didn't need to step out of my box or out of my comfort zone because he was always there for me to stand beside or hide behind. When Jason left I found myself a little lost. It took some time before I began to feel empowered as my own person and felt like I could stand on my own. I know...a 27 year-old hiding behind her 22 year-old brother sounds a little lame. Fortunately, Jason has always encouraged me. He encouraged me to step out and enjoy life more and more. He is out of the country working his tail off and I am going to live each day to the fullest knowing that he wants me to be happy and strong.

So, thank you Jason. Thank you for your strength, encouragement, humor, love, life and hugs. Continue striving to keep the Lord first in your life. Make Him the center and know that He is in control. Know that you are in my prayers and my love for you is never-ending. Keep doing your job and follow your heart. Live a life filled with passion and commitment. I'll be awaiting your return. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment