Saturday, February 12, 2011

Almost...

Thirty. Such a small word...only two little syllables. Yet such an important word this year. This May I will be turning thirty. As I begin to contemplate this new decade, I started by looking back. Looking at this decade in retrospect was eye opening to say the least. Ten years ago when I was looking at my life I would have sworn to you that my 30th year would look different. Who and where I thought I would be is not where or who I am. But, I cannot tell a lie...I'm okay with that. :-)

My 20-year-old self expected to have a certain life by 30. I was to be married, have children, living comfortably in a nice house in the suburbs, driving an SUV (not a minivan) and working only because I wanted to, not because I needed to. Wow...20-year-old me was something else. Now I as draw nearer to 30 I am not dating, much less married. I have no children outside of the children of my friends whom I have adopted as "neice" and "nephew." I drive an economic car and work to pay each and every bill.

However, I am not complaining. I am rejoicing. God has brought me so very far since 20. This year I bought my first home. All on my own. I have the blessing of teaching 6th, 7th and 8th grade students every day. And I don't just teach them history; I hope I teach them how to be better people. I have learned how to be myself in a way I would never have imagined at the age of 20. I have a better relationship with my family than I could ever have imagined.

I am looking forward to 30. I have no idea what this year or this decade is going to bring. And I'm not going to sit around planning what the future may hold. I was recently reminded (thanks to a discussion with a friend about Disney movies) that "happily ever after" doesn't look the same for everyone. Each day can be the beginning to my happily ever after. Each morning I have the opportunity to wake up and commit to live that day to glorify God and learn to serve Him. Whether that is going to work, encouraging a friend, playing the part of "Auntie Em" so that my friends can have a few hours without their children underfoot, cooking a pot of chili to share with my coworkers or writing on this blog to encourage the unknown reader out there. I know that there will still be those who will wonder (or insensitively ask) when I'm going to get married and start having babies of my own. And to those, I will confidently reply, "In His Time." That is a truth that passes all understanding. His timing is perfect. Not always what we expect, but perfect nonetheless. And this is another year to live in that truth.

This year I am taking four trips by June...Washington D.C., New York City, Las Vegas, and Williamsburg. I've applied for a summer seminar that could take me to Cambridge in the U.K. to take a history class (nerd alert!). I am part of a church I love and am excited to become more involved. This is a new year. An exciting step in a different direction. A new house, great friends, loving family, and an outlook toward 30 that I never imagined at 20. I'm ready to take 30 by storm! To God be the glory, great things He has done!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet, dear Colorado "daughter", I just read your blog post and let me say that crying at work is not pretty but my heart is overjoyed with the work the Lord has done in your life. What an incredible blessing you have been in my life since you were 18 years old. I have seen you grow and develop into this awesome woman of God. I have been reflecting on your 30th birthday too and have found myself marveling at how quickly the time flies! Love you sweet girl and I hope that I can see you soon!
    Love,
    Your Oklahoma "Mom"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 24, single, female, and I would be thrilled to be in your position at 30. Buying a home sounds exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete