Monday, January 19, 2009

Why I'm Writing

Well, this is my first post on my blog. Let me introduce myself. I am Emily. I teach history in a middle school in Colorado and I'm 27 years old. I am a Christian. I came to know Christ as my Savior when I was a young girl, but life has brought many surprises and detours since then. Although at times I felt very far from God, I have since learned how close He always was to me and how He will direct my path. 2008 was a momentous year, but they weren't all high moments. I felt God leading me to face my fears and learn to live. I began seeing a counselor a year ago. I also made a commitment to stop drinking alcohol. Of course, there were reasons for these decisions and I will tell you those along the way, but they were the first two steps in an incredible journey. God has been so faithful in this past year. He placed the right people in my life to help me through some very difficult spots. This year I was also diagnosed with significant clinical depression. Through the encouragement of my doctor, counselor, and family I was able to make the best decision for myself and begin taking anti-depressants. Since then, I have begun feeling like myself again and sometimes, I even feel like a better version of myself than before. That isn't all due to the medication. Too long I allowed myself to live in the bondage of lies. Bondage from my past, bondage from alcohol, bondage of past abuse. As I'm learning, God desires none of that for me. His desires are perfect and all driven in love. I have the tools to fight the lies now. God has done an amazing work in my life. He has brought light back into my life and a new peace into my soul. God is much stronger than I will ever be. I'm learning to walk with my Savior. I am telling my story and inviting others to walk along because I want HIM to receive all the glory for the great things He has done in my life. I chose Psalm 40:1 - 3 as the guiding verse for this blog because God has placed a new song in my heart. It is my prayer as people encounter this blog they will also encounter God and a new way of seeing His goodness and love in their lives. God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. So well said my friend. It is obvious that God has been preparing this blog in your heart long before you sat down to type. I am looking forward to more. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, i am glad you posted a link on facebook. I like your blog and how God speaks through what you write. I also :identify: with songs taht point to scriptures! i will enjoy following your journey!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete